Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Meeting H.R. Giger...

I met with H.R. Giger, my long-time Artistic Idol, on Friday, June 28, 2002 at his museum in the 400 year old castle of Chateau Saint-Germain, in Gruyeres, Switzerland. I can't stress enough how nice Giger actually was. Not only is he an amazing artist (and one of the most influential of the late 20th century - and earyl 21st century) he is an amazing person.

My mini Giger Shrine includes a book that Giger graciously signed for me (including a personalized fingerprint - as he touched the wet ink and then pressed it to the book), a photo of the encounter and a pamphlet for the Giger Museum.

In the Giger Museum you will find many classic works by Giger (some of my personal favorites) and works by other artists. There is nothing like seeing this incredible work up close. The detail simply isn't conveyed in his books. Paintings, sculptures and more; it is an amazing sight to see. The Giger Bar across the street from the museum is now open. It was a dusty work in progress when I visited in 2002. Amazingly, H.R. Giger invited me in to tour the unfinished Giger Bar. I had no sleep the night before, but this experience was my caffeine high.
Giger Bar in very early stages - Friday, June 28, 2002

Courtyard to the Giger Museum

.

2 comments:

  1. Mr.Giger certainly is a gentleman, isn't he just? Your frame looks very cool, a great signature ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool-- both your "shrine" and meeting him. Living in a 400 year old castle has to be inspiring in itself:)

    ReplyDelete

 
BlogCatalog
.
.